Published on September 15th, 2012 | by Stevesesy1
Seizures, Stabbing, Suicide, and Suffocating: Let’s Talk about Pokémon!
We all know and love the Pokémon series, characters, and world but as with everything there is another side. Today, I;m going to be talking about the three most disturbing things to have ever graced the Pocket Monster world.
We have all heard about this incident before but at least let me go over the facts with you one more time. The episode, ”Dennō Senshi Porygon” [Computer Soldier Porygon], aired December 16, 1997 at 6:30 PM Japan Standard Time over 37 different TV stations all over Japan. It was the highest rated broadcast for that time slot and was believed to have been broadcast in 26.9 million households. The average household held about 2.82 people during this time period, so a rough estimate of about how many people were exposed to this episode is around 75.9 million. Of these millions of people, 685 were hospitalized for a range of symptoms as a direct result of viewing the episode in question. These symptoms included: blurred vision, headaches, dizziness, nausea, seizures, blindness, convulsions, and loss of consciousness. Only two of the viewers remained hospitalized for more than two weeks.
Further reports, studies, and investigations concluded that many of these symptoms were not congruent with seizures but more likely brought on by the effects of a strobe-induced altered consciousness state, a real phenomenon that can occur with people are exposed to 12 Hz strobes of light. This all came too late and Nintendo had suffered enough backlash from this event that they never aired the episode again. You can find it online if you want.
People get stabbed everyday. A lot of people get stabbed everyday, usually over extremely stupid things.
The year was 1999 and Pokémon card fever was enjoying a blistering high. Some say that it may have reached a boiling point, especially when 9 year-old stabbed his friend. Here are the priceless, timeless, and almost mafia-like quotes from the incident:“I was riding my bike, and he asked me if I wanted to look at his new Pokemon cards, I dropped one, and he didn’t notice and then he said, ‘Where’s my card! I want my card, right now!’ “ “I told him I didn’t have it. He pulled out the knife and started waving it in my face, and then he stabbed me in the leg.”
Wow, that is pretty crazy. This kid stabbed his buddy cause he thought we stole one of his cards. Then again, this isn’t that surprising since all of this went down in Long Island, New York.
This one is sad, really sad. I wouldn’t suggest reading it but if you are a morbid freak then read on.
Jevan Richardson, a young, black, student took his own life by hanging on Feb 13, 2001 after an incident 1o months prior at St. Mary Magdalene Primary School in Southeast London. The incident was a small one, a teacher confiscated Jevan’s, along with two other white students’, Pokémon cards. The two other students’ cards were returned later on, Jevan’s were not. He wrote a note after the event,“I can’t get anything right. I’m always wrong. I just want to die. I’m going to hang myself.”
He went through with it 10 months later. This is sad…
Do you remember going to a Burger King in November 1999 and begging your mother/father/guardian for one of these babies?
These toys contained one of 57 figurines. They are also responsible for the death of a baby girl. This $22 million dollar promotion lasted about 2 months and 10 days into the event, Burger King’s North America President Paul Clayton had to buy newspaper space just to apologize for the shortages. They were insanely popular, even I remember having 3 of them!
The first victim of this dangerous item was an unnamed 13-month old baby girl from Sorona, California. She was found on the morning of December 11, 1999 suffocated after she had placed the top half over her mouth and nose. The second victim, on December 23, survived because her father managed to pry it off of her quick enough. She was also less than two years old.
Burger King recalled the toys on December 27 announcing that it was a choking hazard. All recalled toys were redeemable for a small order of frees.
The parents of the child who died from this toy ended up settling out of court with Burger King. The amount was kept confidential but I hope it was a lot.